Making the world around us a better place starts with transforming our mind-based thoughts into pure consciousness. Meditation, over time, helps to raise one’s energetic vibration and helps to protect one from absorbing and holding onto the negative vibrations of others (e.g., anger or irritation, fear, shame, chaos, etc.) via Metta–the practice of generating kindness and goodwill towards all beings. Compassion neutralizes negativity, because love generated within the whole being, from the sub-cellular level outward, neutralizes fear-based thoughts, actions and reactions. Metta cleanses as it radiates. We can carry what we learn from Metta into our daily actions and activities, thereby increasing our Mindfulness, as Mindfulness and Metta go hand-in-hand.
The Monkey Mind will often make us leave the spaces we enter into in a more chaotic state. When we are hectic or worried or angry, the spaces we enter into carry will be affected. When we live without Mindfulness, we may leave a room messier than when we entered it, making it less comfortable for others who enter into it. Or, if we clean up a space in irritation at others who have left it messier for everyone else, the irritation that we feel poisons the quality of our thoughts and the quality of the energy that we bring into a room. Have you ever walked into a room knowing without a word spoken that someone in it is irritated? That irritation occupies space, and makes it uncomfortable for others to be in the room.
One really wonderful practical way to integrate Metta into our daily activities is to simply decide to leave each space we walk into a little cleaner and more positive. Leaving a space in a more positive state than when one entered into it is an act of self-love and love for others. When done with Mindfulness and love, it is an act of blessing and an act of inner purification.
- If a room is untidy, for example, take a moment to straighten it up. If you don’t have time to clean it fully, just mindfully replace one or two things into their rightful place and feel good about doing so. Un-cluttering a room with Mindfulness and Love increases your own vibration.
- Or, play a little healing music for the houseplants, which are also energetic beings and flourish in positive environments. The plants, in turn, will help purify the air you breathe in that room.
- Organize a bookshelf in disarray.
- Burn a little incense or sage with mindful intention.
- Say a little wish or prayer for the well-being of all who enter this space.
- If you practice Reiki, send distance Reiki to a space you know you will be entering (your office, for example, or your in-laws’ home).
- Or, just send a Mindful blessing to that space, with the intention that all who enter and leave it, including yourself, will be better off for having done so.
- Recycle or find another home for an object rather than throwing it away.
There are so many ways in which we can attend to the spaces we enter. Use your imagination, fueled by goodwill. If we go around blessing the spaces we enter into, we engage pure Consciousness. We live out compassion and love, thereby purifying our own energetic bodies and making the world around us a better place.